5.25.2009

Coming Home

It has been a while since I have updated. Oops! I swear, I have a legitimate excuse. You see, I have been enjoying life! Oh, that's not good enough? Well, anyway...

Since we last met, I returned to San Diego for a lovely week of debriefing, beaching, partying, and horrendous goodbyes. Seriously, the bond between roadies is the strangest, strongest, most wonderful bond ever. I also came home. I wasn't sure what it would feel like to be back. I knew I wanted to get in my big, comfy bed. And I knew I couldn't wait to see family and friends who I had not seen in months. But, to be honest, I was a bit nervous. I was nervous that life had taken place, people had changed, and things were different. And they were. Kind of.

In many ways, lots of things happened at home while I was away. Relationships began and ended. New life was created. Some people passed on into their next life. Life has a tendency to happen at all times. But in some ways, nothing had changed. My friends still loved me and wanted to hear about what I had just done. My family was happy for me to be home. My dog still recognized me. It was a strange place to find myself in. But, I didn't mind at all. I still don't.

I am luckier than many people because I fell like I am exactly where I am supposed to be and this is the first time I have been able to say that with full confidence. I'm pretty sure that I will eventually end up in Nashville. When I am ready to settle down, I want it to be here. But for now, I am free to wander. Free to explore. Free to live. This is a strange and beautiful freedom. It is given, not earned. So, I am going to take it and run until I am positive that it has ended. Then, I'll probably run just a little bit longer.

Scientifically, the main keys to happiness are feeling loved and feeling like your life has meaning and purpose. Others say happiness is a choice. I suppose in all regards, I am happy. Life is definitely not easy. It is far from perfect. But I am happy. And that feels like home.

1 comment:

mn said...

But for now, I am free to wander. Free to explore. Free to live.I love this philosophy. I embodied it for a while and miss it terribly. Because of you (and the other IC Roadies) I plan on applying to be a Roadie after graduation. I miss my wanderlustness. Three years ago I lived in five states in two years; last year I moved five times within a nine month period. I miss it, I miss it, I miss it.

With Peace,
Hannah